Saturday afternoon L suddenly got a terrible diaper rash, which is very unusual for her. I also noticed a few small, red bumps on her forehead but didn’t think it was anything serious. By Saturday night she had small red bumps all over her back and stomach and I knew there was a problem.
I took her to the doctor first thing this morning where I was told that she “more than likely” had Hand Foot and Mouth disease. There is no cure or treatment for this viral rash and it usually runs the course over a weeks time. Here are a few facts that you should know about Hand, Foot and Mouth disease:
- This disease usually begins with a fever and poor appetite.
- A non-itchy skin rash usually develops in 1-2 days.
- This disease is caused by a virus.
- The virus is spread by unwashed hands and unwashed surfaces.
- Hand, foot and mouth disease is contagious.
- HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old but can also occur in adults.
- Children are more likely to be at risk for infection and illness because they are less likely than adults to have antibodies to protect them.
*The last bullet really stands out to me because it reaffirms the need to buy organic, switch to safer cleaners, & live greener.* The bumps do not bother L, and they should be gone by next Saturday. Do you know anyone who has had Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease?